"Never before have so many written so much to be read by so few."

I will write about anything that disturbs me, concerns me, scares me, puzzles me or makes me laugh. I hope to be able to educate regularly, and entertain most of the time.

Search This Blog

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Groban Concert Reflections


                I am not, technically, a “fan” of Josh Groban, or a “Grobanite,” as his most ardent followers are called.  That is, I am not a “fanatic” concerning him.  I do not know if my daughter is free of that label, however.  Her three-year-old seems convinced that Josh will be coming to dinner at their house at some time.  I do not believe she would have gotten that idea had she been living in my house.  Nevertheless, I do appreciate his talents and enjoy listening to him.  Therefore, when my wife asked for tickets to attend his concert in Sacramento as a birthday present, I was quite agreeable.  This post is not intended to be a review of his performance, but rather a few observations of mine concerning the evening.
                I would like to begin by noting that Groban’s performance was very good, though it did not elicit any superlative reactions from me; no awe, wonderment, surprise or astonishment.  I do not believe his inability to move me to ecstatic demonstration has anything to do with his superb talent.  It is just that I expected him, considering the price of the tickets, to be nearly perfect, and he was.  The sun rising each morning is a spectacular event, yet, because I expect it, I do not revel in its every occurrence.  His performance was very good, and I enjoyed it.  I was a little disappointed in my inability to understand all the songs, but that was not his fault.  I guess my hearing is not what it used to be, because I could not understand the words.  It was like he was singing a foreign language. 
                An aspect of the show that did mesmerize me was the special effects.  The stage was a simple rectangle with musicians spread out across the length of it.  The backdrop was that of a wall of large stones with an incomplete arch extending out a short distance over the stage at a mild angle.  It was not the sort of décor that immediately inspired wonder.  Yet, it was the base for some very impressive projections during man songs.  These projections, along with lights directed on the wall and general lighting on the stage were very remarkable.  That wall became part of a bridge, a building with an opening door, a crumbling structure, a bullet-ridden barrier and a host of other visual effects.  Even the lighting fixtures themselves became part of the presentation at one point.  The theatrical director and lighting director deserved much more praise than they were given publicly.  [Though it does not do it justice, you can get a little taste of what I am trying to describe by watching this Youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_-bv--zLKc]
                One interesting opportunity afforded all attendees with cell phones was the Q & A event.  Prior to the beginning of the show, anyone could text a question to a staff member.  Not far into the performance, Josh took the time to rest his voice, read a few of the questions and joke with the audience.  I wanted to send a message, pretending to be my wife, asking if he would consider marrying a friend of mine who was attending.  This would have been a hilarious stunt, but I could not figure out how to send the message on my Blackberry Curve.  I have sent many text messages to people in my address book, but I could not figure out how to send a message to 66739.  Another fantastic opportunity lost due to my technological limitations.
                The musicians supporting Josh, along with the mixer who kept them in perfect balance, were of superior quality.  The guitarist, who is also the musical director, was exceptional.  And while the percussionist did a wonderful job, I must question the choice of one instrument.  What is the sense in moving a shaker around in that situation?  This is one of those tubes with a bunch of beads inside that a percussionist holds with one hand and shakes in rhythm to the tune.  I am sure his shaker was a very nice one and produced a pleasurable sound.  However, when others are playing the drums, a piano, a bass guitar, an electric guitar, two violins, a viola, a cello, a trumpet, a trombone, two French horns and with Josh singing, who can possible hear a shaker?  Yet, there he stood, being paid whatever worthy salary his union has arranged, “playing” his shaker.  It was like using a mime as a backup singer.
                Overall, it was a very nice evening out.  I have been motivated to explore the possibility of purchasing additional Groban music for my ancient Ipod.  What’s that?  I can get rid of the Ipod and load my songs onto my Blackberry?  Next, you’ll be telling me I can use it to call somebody.

1 comment:

  1. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I think your hearing is further gone than you think. I too noticed the man shaking his shaker... but I heard it before I saw it - and I thought it added to the song. Though... I only noticed it in one song... if it was in others, he shook that shaker with no avail to my ears.
    It was a wonderful evening. Lots of laughs with friends, and a wonderful voice to be serenaded by. The only thing that would have made it better was if I could have been in the sound/light box watching them work. The light show was very well done.(Or if He chose Cari to sing.. that would have been cool too - since it would have been a very bad pick if he chose me.)

    PS Just so you can be hip and all, its not an Ipod, but an iPod. ;-)

    ReplyDelete