"Never before have so many written so much to be read by so few."

I will write about anything that disturbs me, concerns me, scares me, puzzles me or makes me laugh. I hope to be able to educate regularly, and entertain most of the time.

Search This Blog

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Moonstruck

    I was driving two of my granddaughters home last night when I was blinded by a full moon sneaking over the foothill town of Plymouth.  I pointed it out to the 5-year-old, whereupon I was informed that it was so bright because the sun was "here" (accompanied by a dainty, little hand with the fingers gently forming a sphere) and the moon was "here" (the other hand illustrated this) and the earth was "here" (the sun hand had to do double duty).  All this was observed by me, the driver, in the rear view mirror while negotiating a country road.
    When I got home and checked in with the Facebook crowd (they get worried if I don't let them know I got home safely) I discovered my sister-in-law had seen that same moon in Minnesota.  Her comments were not as scientific as my granddaughter's, "All you Minnesotans-- turn off the lights in your house. Look out the window to see the brightly lit moonshine tree limb shadows etched on the snow. Would be fabulous to do a midnight XC ski run...but it's just too cold...and my bean bag foot warmer just came out of the microwave. The Amplified Bible describes the moon as "a token of God's providential care." May we all rest in the assurance of His love."
    I couldn't help but wonder if my two-and-a-half-year-old granddaughter marveled at the brilliant splendor of this same night light as it illuminated her home in Europe.  When she lived nearby I would carry her outside where she would look up, point at the moon and utter an "mm" sound.  She seemed fascinated by it. Would she have seen it in scientific terms like her cousin, or would she have observed an object of divine beauty like her great-aunt?  I would be happy just to hold her while she points at it, even if she made no sound at all.
   Why are we so fascinated by a full moon?  A quick look around the web uncovered several viewpoints.  It's our only natural satellite.  It's the brightest object in the night sky.  It comforts us, because we feel like it is watching over us.  Of course, there are those theories about the unusual gravitational pull resulting in lunacy, and what some consider a type of lunacy, love.  The fact that it only comes around about once a month, and can be observed in its brilliance only if the weather cooperates on those particular days, may contribute to its mystique.
    But I believe we are naturally enthralled with the heavens due to a God-given awareness.  In Psalm 19 we learn that "the heavens declare the glory of God."  Paul writes in Romans that we can know about God by simply being aware of what is around us, "For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse" (Romans 1:20 NIV).  When we gaze upon that huge natural light peeking over some hill, we may see an astronomical phenomenon or an incredibly romantic glow.  But we will all see "a token of God's providential care."
   

2 comments:

  1. I don't think the three options above are always appropriate. What about "Thought provoking"? "Touching"? You're 2.5 year old granddaughter did not see the moon, I'm sorry to say, but I did. I was walking to the little store a couple of blocks up to get some bread and eggs, when I couldn't help but notice the large orb glowing just above the mountains. It was a beautiful sight. As I've watched the FB chatter myself, I've been amazed to realize that it was witnessed by friends and family around the world! As for Anna, she's still quick to notice the moon, or even one of the few stars we can see in the city. They are always pointed out with great excitement, and many more words than just "mmm" now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, 12 followers?? You're movin' on up!
    Great perspective on the moon. We saw it last night, too, and were all ooh-ing and ah-ing at it. We actually wanted to pull the telescope out to look at it, but once we got home, it was behind the hills.

    ReplyDelete