"Never before have so many written so much to be read by so few."

I will write about anything that disturbs me, concerns me, scares me, puzzles me or makes me laugh. I hope to be able to educate regularly, and entertain most of the time.

Search This Blog

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Don't Look Back, They Might Be Gaining On You


     Take a look around you.  Observe all the people standing near you, in the same room, passing by your window or milling around the coffee pot at work.  Think about what nice people they are and how well you get along with them.  Now read this: 1 in 5 Americans have some form of mental illness.  Yes, according to the government agency called SAMHSA (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration), in 2009 twenty percent of Americans were considered mentally ill.  I have tried to ascertain what exactly qualifies as mentally ill, but can only surmise conditions such as out-of-control anger, depression, and paranoia qualify.  It may be that conditions such as ADD (Attention Deficit Di…It's really foggy this morning…Some men are loading an old truck…
     I started looking around my world and wasn't entirely pleased with what I saw.  Sure, there are some people I've always wondered about, but 1out of every 5?  Maybe people hide it well, or maybe I don't know what to look for.  But the thought occurred to me that perhaps I should take a look in the mirror.  What if I am the 1 in a group of 5?
     I occasionally get angry, though I can't really remember the last time.  And when I am angry I don't think it is to the level that would qualify as unusual, dangerous or excessive; just annoying.
     I have known depression.  There are some years that I remember darkly.  I know there's a difference between being gloomy or even melancholy and real depression.  I remember being in that place where life appeared hopeless and meaningless.  I don't remember the length of time, but it was many weeks, if not months.  It was a sermon on Elijah that brought me back.  I believe he was in a deep depression immediately following the great victory at Mt. Carmel, but God provided for his physical, social, emotional and mental needs in that cave, and spoke to him gently without accusation. 
    Paranoia has never been a problem for me.  I am usually too oblivious to what's going on to even know when people really are out to get me. 
    I wonder if anyone has looked at the percentage of people who call themselves followers of Christ who would fit into whatever definition of mentally ill SAMHSA is using?  I'm sure there are those who would like us to believe that we are exempt if we truly place our trust in Christ.  I tend to believe there might actually be a higher percentage among us.  It was the sick Jesus came to heal, after all.  And Jesus never said, "Come to me and I will cure all that is wrong with you."  He did promise rest, strength, answers, guidance and comfort.  Comfort?  Who needs comfort if not those who are struggling?  And what is one of the places people go when they are in need?  I would be surprised and disappointed if churches don't have a higher ratio than the rest of society.
    A short while ago I took a few shots at Facebook relationships.  I still believe there is a danger of people substituting digital images for face-to-face, hand-on-the-arm, arm-on-the-shoulder personal relationships, but I have come to accept that Facebook may actually be providing some connections people need to stay mentally healthy.  It's much easier for some to make those connections via faceless, non-threatening posts than by way of personal meetings.  But eventually those digital relationships must be replaced with physical contact.  That's the way we are built.
    Oh, I did find some comforting data in the SAMHSA survey.  People age 50 and over had the lowest level of mental illness of all the age groups studied; just 13.7 percent.  I might be able to identify 1 in 7 people as part of this group.  I will work hard to do so because I figure that if I can find 1 in 7 among my friends and acquaintances, then I'm probably okay.
    There is some bad news for some of you, though.  The 18-25 age group has a rather high rate of 30 percent.  That's 1 out of every 3 of your friends if you're in this age group.
     Are you still looking over your shoulder at those people in the room? 

    Seriously, if you need help, don't try to go it alone.  Talk to a friend, a pastor, or even the county mental health department.  Do not let pride or insecurity keep you from the help you need.  After all, you certainly are not alone; one of every 3 to 5 people are in the same boat.

2 comments:

  1. That's interesting. I know in my own family, my dad (obviously) and my brother both had/have mental illnesses, my bro being Bipolar. I went through my own time of struggle in my late teens, and thankfully the Lord brought me through that. It would be interesting to see what the study's definition of "mental illness" is. I think many people really are good at hiding their "real" self. We'd probably be shocked to know what's really going on in peoples' lives...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure there are many more of us who are "unstable" to some extent than we currently think, but not very far from "normal" (if there is such a thing). I'm going to keep searching for SAMHSA's definitions. I fear they are including a lot of very marginal conditions and therefore misdirecting attention from those with serious illness who need attention. AZ incident happened after my posting. Not much info yet, but surely a person who needed some help.

    ReplyDelete