"Never before have so many written so much to be read by so few."

I will write about anything that disturbs me, concerns me, scares me, puzzles me or makes me laugh. I hope to be able to educate regularly, and entertain most of the time.

Search This Blog

Friday, May 20, 2011

Patriotic Loyalties Meet Spiritual Duty

    Back in February I asked the question, “If you had lived in one of the colonies in 1776, would you have been a patriot or a loyalist?”  Nineteen of you thought you would have been on the side of the American patriots, while three of you indicated you would have been loyal to the British.
    The reason I asked this question is somewhat complicated.  I’ll shorten the explanation by simply pointing out that I had had a couple of conversations with different people about whether or not Christians were always obligated to obey the law, or if there are issues that are only spiritual concerns, making government involvement (or interference) irrelevant?  Over the years I have often heard people answer by pointing out a passage in the Bible which states, “Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established.  The authorities that exist have been established by God.  Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves” (Romans 13:1-2). 
    While this seems like a plain enough answer, there are some other aspects of this issue that people need to consider.  For instance, not too far from that passage I just quoted is another, “Judge for yourselves whether it is right in God’s sight to obey you rather than God” (Acts 4:19).  And I have noticed that many of my Christian brothers and sisters are also quite patriotic, often extolling the virtues of our democracy and the men who bravely sacrificed so much to give birth to this great nation.  But, wasn’t this country born from rebellion against the governing authorities?  I am somewhat confused that so many think they would have been on the side of the American revolutionaries instead of those who remained loyal to the established government.
    Have you ever read the Declaration of Independence?  I mean, carefully read it?  This great document asserts that the dissolution of a people’s connection with an established government may become necessary for the purpose of assuming “…the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature’s God entitle them…”  It goes on to proclaim that “…all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights…”  These are important statements because they are the foundation for the defense of a rebellion: If a government becomes so oppressive that it begins to deny the equality God has given to all people, then it is “…the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government…”  Furthermore, governments don’t derive their powers from God, but from “…the consent of the governed…”  I should note that Thomas Jefferson, the author of this treasure, did not believe rebellions against established authorities should be entered into lightly.  He clearly states that this is a last recourse, when the government has become so despotic that its evils are no longer sufferable.  Yet, when that condition is met, we not only have a right, but a duty to throw off that government.
    There seems to me to be a disconnect between the verses so often quoted by good, patriotic American Christians and the foundational document we hold so dear.  Was our American Revolution justified in God’s eyes?  Should we have been loyal to the king if we had lived back then?  What about today?  Under what circumstances may we in good conscience disobey the established authorities? 
    Obviously, I am not going to answer these questions in this post.  It would be much to lengthy.  Besides, I would first like to hear from you.  I know, there are 20 people who are “followers” of this blog, and according to the stat counter there are another 10 or 20 who read it from time to time, but I rarely get any comments from any of you.  Please weigh in on this.  I am most anxious to read your thoughts.

2 comments:

  1. I have had such discussions with friends before - friends who consider the American Revolution a straight rebellion, sighting the same scriptures you pointed out. This did make me wounder where I would have fallen if I was around in the mid 1700s.
    I guess I will never know for sure, but if my thinking, up bringing, and thought processes would have been the same then as they are now, I think I would have sided with the revolutionaries. Why? Because everyone who I have talked to who believe it was a rebellion (though I doubt I have talked to a strong sample of that group) have been pacifists. They don't believe in defending themselves or their loved ones against attackers. This belief is very foreign to me, and the very opposite of what I believe.
    I guess what I am saying is that if seeing America as having a rebellion goes hand in hand with a pacifist, then I think I can be pretty confident I would have been there, beside the man who fired the first shot that was heard around the world- I might have been the man who pulled the trigger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think, not quite articulate as you...but here goes...

    Drive the speed limit, pay your taxes, show up for jury duty (*wince* unless you forget, then call the next day and fess up). Don't take the law into your own hands, don't live above the rules. Recognize we aren't Lord of our lives, in fact we aren't really even lord of our lives, as God usually directs people to care for our needs. ...

    But, don't bow down to idols no matter what the king says he'll do to you...If God says leave Egypt do it! Doesn't matter what Pharoh says(He changes his mind every two seconds anyway...kinda like a woman). Save the baby boys, (how applicable still today!) even when a swordsman comes hunting. Midwifes lie about the strength of the women you "rush" to help. Help the spies go safely from your city...if you know they have the Lord on their side. (Rahabs in the hall of fame for treason!) The examples I'm sure could go on and on. Of people doing the right thing structurally but going against the set government.

    I didn't take part in your pole, not because I didn't know which side I'd want to take part in. I just wasn't sure if I'd have the guts to be a rebel! But that's the side I'd WANT to join. And I bet God could bring forth the courage!

    ReplyDelete